The undersigned, gathered in Mérida, Mexico, at the 17th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, make an urgent call to all countries and organizations of the world, their leaders and citizens, to build a CULTURE OF PEACE.
And we declare:
1. Peace is the right of all human beings. It is the supreme good of humanity because without it there is no true development or possible coexistence.
2. Building a Culture of Peace rests on the belief that we must treat others as we wish to be treated. This ethical principle applies at all levels of human endeavor – personal, family, community, and national. When honored, dignity and stability follow. When violated, instability results.
3. In the midst of the current challenges of war, fear, racism, intolerance, and populist nationalism, today more than ever it is necessary to promote a Culture of Peace that follows tolerance and respect for diversity as a fundamental principle of coexistence among human beings and nations.
4. A Culture of Peace is essential for the integral development of individuals and their families, for the progress of societies and the survival of humanity.
5. A Culture of Peace expresses unconditional respect for human life and human rights. Human rights are the foundation upon which humanity can live in harmony.
6. A Culture of Peace requires respect for all other life, and for the systems that support all life on earth, as a prerequisite for the healthy development of human society. A Culture of Peace includes being at peace with oneself, others and the natural world.
7. The primary tool to promote a Culture of Peace is Peace Education, which must be taught in families, all levels of education, workplaces, and disseminated through the media, and encouraged at all levels of society.
8. First, we are human beings. Our common humanity precedes gender, race, religion, nation, sexual orientation, and political affiliation. Our humanity is enriched by its diversity.
9. We support and are inspired by the resolutions and institutions of the United Nations such as the Culture of Peace Program developed by UNESCO and in a broader sense the Sustainable Development Goals.
10. There is no greater gift we can give our nations and communities than peace. Our children and generations to come deserve this gift. Let’s make the Culture of Peace our legacy!