Permanent Secretariat of the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates
“Fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses…”
Who we are
Our Association, the Permanent Secretariat of the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, was created in 2006. It is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization, with its own Board, which is based in Rome and operates on a permanent basis.
The major activity of the Permanent Secretariat is organizing the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, internationally recognized as among the most important annual events in the field of peacemaking, attracting Nobel Peace Laureates, high-profile leaders, organizations, students and academics from around the globe since 1999.
The Permanent Secretariat organizes the Summit in different locations across the globe with the support of a number of Nobel Peace Laureates’ foundations and organizations, and in partnership with hosting municipalities and prominent local foundations.
Vadim V. Zagladin, who was also the founder of the PermSec, conceived the Summits, which were promoted by President Mikhail Gorbachev and the former Mayor of Rome, Walter Veltroni.
We are supported by a volunteer-based staff, linked with our own representatives in Italy, France, Germany, Russia, United Sates, Asia and Africa, working together to explore new opportunities in the pursuit of our association’s goals.
Our philosophy and our highly devoted volunteers make it possible to maintain minimal staff and low overheads.
The Permanent Secretariat is responsible for interacting with the participants of the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates, ensuring the adequate preparation, organization and development of the Summits’ meetings.
According to its statutes, the Permanent Secretariat does not represent any Nobel Peace Laureates externally, unless otherwise explicitly requested.
Along with the organization of the World Summits, the Permanent Secretariat is responsible for disseminating the documents and decisions adopted by the Nobel Peace Laureates and Organizations during the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, such as the “Charter for a World without Violence”, as well as promoting the ideas and work of Nobel Peace Laureates.
The Permanent Secretariat monitors the activities of Nobel Peace Laureates, supports the work of Nobel Peace Laureates, who participate in the annual Summits, and serves as the platform for their networking.
Our Mission and Values
Why we are committed
We aim to strengthen humanitarian and non-violent thinking in support of human values.
We believe all people should have the opportunity to positively contribute to society in the regions they live in.
We think the best way to achieve our goals is to share solutions and to encourage initiatives by those who already lived a similar experience.
We promote the environment where those, who have unique knowledge, can help others build a common understanding, and enable them to face the same problems with proved solutions.
We focus our efforts on capacity building in order to help young people and citizens creating sustainable and successful communities.
Since 1999 our goals have been to:
• Promote the legacy, knowledge and work of Nobel Peace Laureates and people who dedicated their lives to help others;
• Promote international social cooperation;
• Advance achievements in the humanitarian and social work;
• Involve youth and citizens in practical thinking for world peace and educate them with practical tools;
• Encourage business, citizens and youth to make joint social projects in different parts of the world;
• Create and maintain a platform where we share our network enabling an efficient collaboration among citizens, authorities and business towards efficient and sustainable solutions;
• Establish the proper environment and promote the engagement of Nobel Peace Laureates “NPLs” in order to share their knowledge and experience, engaging the minds of ordinary people in general, and the young people in particular, on real matters that pertain to global affairs, conflicts, a world without violence, racism, poverty, global environment, diseases and proliferation of weapons, focused on global peace on the planet.
• Organize the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates annually as a platform to consolidate peace efforts and strengthen global security.
• Ensure the coherency of the activities of the Summits.
• Monitor and support of the Nobel Peace Laureates’ activities through our global network.
• Youth and citizens social formation, including tools for global online education.
• Support of major youth and citizen initiatives deriving from our programs.
• Foster and implement an adequate network for youth, citizens, business and authorities in their effort to create better common solutions for facing social problems.
• Promote sponsors integration into social matters through the Summit platform and Summit’s programs.
• Engage the minds of young people and citizens on real matters that pertain to such global affairs like conflict resolution, global environmental problems, disarmament, humanitarian and social issues etc. that broaden vision and open up new horizons for more peaceful and compassionate thinking.
• Provide practical support to student and citizen initiatives that arise out of the Summits or reflect the elements of our programs.
Our Initiatives and Platforms
The following practical activities derive from the Summit’s platform:
• Yearly Youth Program – “Leading by Example” with involvement of international youth and professors from around the globe.
• Networking platform for youth, citizens, business and government to share their experiences in taking social matters.
• Networking platform for the support of Nobel Peace Laureates’ activities throughout the world.
• Initiatives platform with sponsors to educate and encourage youth and citizens by sharing practical knowledge and experience in social matters through the Summit and its networks.